Saturday 18 August 2007

I Despair

The above statement is probably a familiar feeling for anyone who has to deal with respite homes.

I called tonight to try to book Mr Man in for a couple of nights at the end of September. Bearing in mind that thanks to cutbacks there is now only one bed for the whole of the north of the county, and bearing in mind that the dates we want are only 6 weeks away, I would like to have booked them as soon as possible. But apparently I can only book the bed through Mr Mans Key Worker at the respite home, and seeing as he won’t be working again until Monday, I’ll have to call back then.

Thank goodness he’s not on holiday.

What difference does it make who books it? I actually asked the lady on the phone this, and her answer? “I don’t know”

And these people are responsible for Mr Mans care.

2 comments:

elanor said...

Last year after health workers constantly nagging about using respite I tried to arrange it for mum. I was told there were only 2 weeks available in the next 12 months.

I explained that in my job I am only allowed to take holidays at specific times of the year and that those 2 weeks were not at that time. The helpful worker told me I should try and book at least a year in advance if not longer!

Yeah right...very helpful...

Mr Mans Wife said...

A year in advance! That's outrageous! I suppose that was your first and last experience of respite homes then?